Thursday, July 30, 2009

Urgent Prayer request from a missionary friend in Nigeria

Greetings. Though you haven't heard from me in some time, I'm still here and hard at work. This week there is a troubling situation in another part of this country between security forces and a radical religious group. (The problem is not in the area where I live, so don't worry about me.) But it is greatly affecting some of our fellowship groups of new believers. We are hearing reports from many quarters about severe persecution, up to and including death. The elders of the group are under great strain, as they try to deal with and counsel refugees, and in some cases travel into the areas where problems are occurring in order to try to help.

One leader came on Tues. to say that a new believer, one of three he led to the Lord on Friday, was attacked and murdered on Sunday night. This leader came to say he was going back to the area, which is at the center of the disturbance, in order to bury the deceased. I asked, "How can you even think of going? It's too dangerous." He said, "I can't do anything else. How can I leave immature new believers to deal with this on their own? God will be with me." The leader called last night to say he is now trapped in the area of the fighting, and terrible things are going on all around. Please pray urgently for this group, and many others who are in similar circumstance.

Thanks for your prayers. We really appreciate them. God bless.

No comments: